Thursday, November 29, 2007

Graduate School? #4

Travesty! Or rather, "Agony!"

I just got off the phone with the admissions office of Eastman School of Music. Though I need to learn more about the other schools to which I am applying, I had hoped to at least be considered for Eastman. There is a mandatory interview in Rochester, NY for Music Theory Ph. D. applicants on Feb. 1 & 2. Those are the two dates of our performance of Into the Woods. The admissions office tells me there is no wiggle room.

What do I do? Do I prefer the musical, or the interview (assuming I decide to go through with the application process, and they invite me out)? Ever since I saw Into the Woods, I wanted to play the role of one of the princes -- and now I am, at my alma mater surrounded by good friends. But if I can't attend the interview in Rochester that weekend, I cannot hope to attend Eastman in 2008.

I have already decided one thing: I will not leave Into the Woods without a second Prince. If I do get the interview, and I decide I want to pursue that instead of the musical, but we can't find an understudy, I will nonetheless be performing the musical in Santa Barbara. That is my commitment, and the Lord will honor that.

But now, do I still break my back finishing my Eastman application in the next few days? I think so, since I've done so much work already, and especially because I already have three recommendations for Eastman, and those were kind enough to have been done over Thanksgiving. No, I need to at least apply, and get my foot in the Eastman door.

But will I follow through? At this point (having thought about it for less than an hour), I think not. I will still apply to the other schools, investigate them, and see what opportunities lie about me. But unless one of the other schools really catches my attention, I think I will defer any acceptances for a year (if possible) and spend another year in Santa Barbara. I would be continuing in a job that I mostly enjoy, would be saving up more money for when I eventually become a musician pauper, and would be able to study a foreign language (which all schools seem to require; either German or Italian). However, I would not be leaving a job situation that has proved to not be the best (though I can/should work to improve it), nor would I be pursuing music as soon as I would have hoped.

But God's time is not man's time. I am fully devoted to His time in this matter, and that makes me overwhelmingly happy and peaceful. ...Despite the turmoil of decision-making, of course. Jesus, lead on!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

brian, your posts are so encouraging.
trusting God with the future and making well informed decisions without worrying incessantly is hard.
thanks for the reminder to look at the good side of things and to trust God.

Meganace said...

New post! New post! New post!