Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Graduate School? #3

GRE ETA: 5 days, 20 hours
Eastman ETA: 10 days
Others: > 1.5 months

Well, my music resume is wrapping up. Lianne gave it a very thorough once-over (for which I'm ever so grateful!) and we reworded pretty much everything. It's looking much more professional. I just need to adjust a few items, and it should be good to go.

Today I paid a visit to Westmont to elicit the recommendations of the two music faculty who 1) had me as a student (that is, not Dr. Shasberger) and 2) are not in Europe (Dr. Brothers). But since I need three recommendations within a week and a half, I got in contact with an adjunct professor I had for one semester of Music History. She's visiting family for Thanksgiving -- but in this case that works in my favor because that brings her from Boston to L.A.! God is good! ...Though I feel bad for taking time during her Thanksgiving break. But, there's no turning back now!

For the portion of the recommendation forms I had to fill out, I had to specify to which graduate awards I would be applying. Which means I had to look at them for the first time. I saw two that I think would be pretty fun! One is basically a music computer lab technician and also an electronic music technician -- but they request that you know something about Linux / Windows / MAC administration and a few other very-C.S. things. =D I think I'd have fun investigating merging my loves.

The other is a classroom teacher of "aural skills" -- which means teaching sight-reading, dictation, and a few other skills that were required of us at Westmont and even some that weren't. That too sounds fun! Except... they require that you be able to sight-read excerpts from piano music. Now, I keep saying I should be better at that than I am, and that's certainly the truth! But I got discouraged reading that. And then I decided that I liked everything else about that job enough, and needed to better my sight-reading anyway, so I'll still be applying for that award. =D Which means sometime, in my "spare" time, I need to be improving in that area. Please hold me accountable! Not only will I lean against doing that work, but I'll probably forget too. =)

And finally, the GRE... is fast approaching. Like a passenger train. Those who are worthy are able to hop on board before it rams you into smithereens. I only hope I will be counted worthy... =)

But honestly, I have no fear. This is in God's hands. Nevertheless, I intend to be a good steward of my time and study whenever possible beforehand.

No comments: