Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Graduate School? #2

I'd still like to fill y'all in on the road that led up to my decision to apply to graduate schools in music -- at least the parts I can see -- but time is currently of the essence, so I've decided to keep posting just about the present and near future. Sometime later I'll fill in the story with ways I've seen God moving, because those are some of the best parts!

Current status: booked to the gills, and not enjoying it so much anymore. I currently have no time to waste doing frivolous trivialities (read: necessary recreations). And I'm applying to graduate school? What am I thinking? This won't remedy my current stressed state! Though I trust God that it will be good in the end -- either more enjoyable during school, or better after school, or probably both.

Dr. Butler gave sage advice that I should read some Music Theory journals to see if that kind of research piques my interest. So far, so good! I'm enjoying reading about arrays of pitch classes, an author's rebuttal to Berlioz's condescension of Schoenberg's music, octatonic tendencies in Takemitsu's music, and other fine topics! However, do I want to do this kind of research? A few days ago, I said "yes!" In my exhausted state, I say "heck no!" But I expect this to pass, because this still piques my interest. I'm just currently not excited about the work potentially ahead.

I've also been working on my "music resume": a list of all things musical I've done since I entered high school. It's no small list! Though I wonder if all my choral activities will shine brightly enough in their eyes that they don't mind that I haven't had any musical vocation. But then, I don't know what they're looking for at all, so I expect that things will be OK.

Oh yeah, and have I mentioned the GRE? Yup, in two weeks the test will already be behind me. All three of the study guides I ordered from Amazon have come. I read the introduction to one, and haven't cracked the other two. But my #1 goal with that test is to not stress out. I know that will be most important.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

brenton has a really good practice test program. you should ask him about it. i think you'll do great on the GRE brian, especially on the math part. it didn't seem that hard, just a lot of comparing different expressions and having to know which one is bigger (which i hate, but isn't really too hard..usually). and there are a finite number of vocabulary words you have to know. i think you'll do great!

Brian J. said...

Finity is still rather large...

But you're right, and thank you; I'm sure I'll do fine.